Monday, April 7, 2008

Bacon and Cheese Puffs

I browse recipes online from time to time, ok, all the time. Sometimes I'll find a recipe that I know is going to be great before I even try it. This is one of those recipes. While browsing on Tastespotting (a great user-fed web site that allows users to post photos and links to recipes and articles on their blogs or other blogs they've found) I found this recipe that was posted on Just Baking. Originally a Kraft recipe that was posted on the Yahoo food section, this simple appetizer is suprisingly wonderful and super easy. 

While it calls for canned crescent roll dough, other dough could be substituted. Puff pastry might be nice, but I would increase the ratio of filling to dough to keep them from being too dry. This one was a hit with the kids in my house and a new favorite has been found. I've edited this slightly from the original recipe by using green onions instead of regular onions and I made these a bit bigger than they indicated getting a few less out of the recipe, but I like them a bit bigger.

1 package cream cheese, plain, softened
8 slices bacon, cooked and chopped into bits
1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/4 cup chopped green onions
2 tablespoons fresh parsley
1 tablespoon milk
2 cans crescent roll dough

Fry bacon, chop and set aside
Combine cream cheese, parmesan cheese, chopped green onion and parsley, bacon and milk in medium mixing bowl until well combined and spreadable
Separate the dough into four squares, pressing to seal the perfs
Spread cheese and bacon mix over the dough, cut into wedges and roll up
Bake on greased cookie sheet 12 to 15 minutes at 375 degrees until pastry is done and golden brown

We just chopped uneven shapes and rolled them up into little pouches and they turned out great. 

Perfect for a quick lunch, brunch or appetizer, this recipe could be easily changed to included virtually any filling in a hurry.

- Sorry there's no picture yet, next time I make these I'll add one. They were snapped up too fast for me to get a good shot of them.

No comments: